At Ello, our mission is to unlock the limitless potential within all children. We do that by building learner-centered digital experiences, starting with an AI reading coach that listens, motivates, and instructs a child as they read from real books.
Ello served more than 10,000 families in 2022 with v1 of our product, and now we are preparing to scale our impact by bringing Ello into schools.
About the Role
As Ello’s inaugural School Adoption Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing the rollout of our first product, Read with Ello, in K-12 schools. You will spearhead this crucial workstream, and will report directly to the CEO.
The Program Manager position requires a combination of strategy and planning, day-to-day operational management, sales know-how and knowledge of the classroom. You will simultaneously have to understand and consider the larger strategic goals of the company and our product, while also managing the ongoing needs of school customers. Your success will be measured by the adoption of Ello into classrooms.
To excel in this role, you should understand schools: You should know how teachers think, how sites operate, and how technology is adopted in the classroom. Ideal candidates for this role will also have experience working at a startup or another fast-paced environment while managing complex workstreams.
Ello is a public benefit corporation, and our team is motivated by the mission of helping all children succeed. An ideal candidate will feel compelled by that mission and have a desire and ability to grow Ello’s footprint and help close the literacy gap in the U.S.
- Manage our school pilot program; supporting its operation and learning from our first school users’ experience.
- Translate our users’ requirements into product development goals to ensure Ello works seamlessly in the classroom.
- Develop grassroots programs to drive adoption in the classroom as we widen the pilot and eventually launch Ello for Schools.
- With our Head of Growth, develop viral loops that help spread Ello from the classroom, to the home.
- 2+ years working in an education setting, ideally an elementary school classroom
- 2+ years working in a fast paced organization, ideally a startup
- An understanding of child literacy
- Experience working in a startup or other small, rapidly growing organization
- Experience in marketing, sales or other roles where you designed products or communication channels to affect user behavior
We look for candidates who
- Have an urge to make a real impact on child development at scale
- Want to build meaningful relationships at work
- Take the initiative and take full ownership of their work
- Balance big-picture perspective with attention to detail
- Care about solving real-world problems that affect real people
- Value open and honest communication that is grounded in empathy
Here are some reasons to join us
- Be part of a rapidly growing, tight-knit team with the chance to have a big voice
- Do meaningful work supporting child development and make a real difference in schools around the country
- Be part of an exceptional team that cares deeply about child development and literacy
- Take on a role with significant autonomy and the chance to be directly responsible for scaling Ello’s growth and our impact on children
What We are Building at Ello
Reading is the gateway to learning, but, unfortunately, many children do not receive the individualized support they need to become confident, capable, and engaged readers. This creates a cycle where they find reading frustrating and, by avoiding it, fall further behind. Parents want to take action, but they don’t have the experience or time. Enter Ello, an expert coach that makes reading fun and breaks this cycle.
Our first product (Read with Ello) is an AI reading teacher that listens to a child read from real books. It uses evidence-based reading instruction to help them when they get stuck and behavioral psychology to motivate them to keep going. The first version of our AI teacher is already serving thousands of families at home.
In the long-term, our goal is even more audacious. We plan to build on the success of Read with Ello to create the world’s first complete AI teacher for children so that we can close literacy and educational gaps around the world.
Who You’ll Be Joining
Ello’s founders have dedicated their careers to pioneering child development at Stanford, Google, and their own successful startups. We were part of Y Combinator’s W20 batch and raised a seed round from leading US and European VCs including Human Capital, Project A Ventures, Reach Capital, Khosla Ventures, Homebrew, WndrCo, and K9 Ventures.
We’re a small, collaborative team that takes each other’s voices very seriously. Because our mission is to support all children, it is critical that our team is representative of the wider community; we place significant emphasis on ensuring diversity in our team and building an inclusive culture.
We want to create an environment in which we can all be our best selves, use our strengths to take Ello forward, and develop our own skills. We want to have fun while working hard to do impactful things that we’re proud of – we believe it’s possible to do both.
If you are interested or have questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org!